Tue, 24 Nov 2020

Chippa United mounted a rousing second-half comeback to secure a 1-1 draw against Cape Town City at Cape Town Stadium on Saturday evening.

The hosts went into the half-time break with a narrow lead thanks to Mduduzi Mdantsane, but Chippa finally found their shooting boots after the break as Augustine Kwem rifled the ball home from close range.

The opening 10-minute spell failed to produce any noteworthy chances as both sides looked somewhat cagey, giving away plenty of free-kicks.

However, the match sprang to life in the 16th minute when Tashreeq Morris went down in the Chippa area appealing for a penalty, only for the referee to wave play in.

The Citizens, sensing a potential breakthrough, continued to press forward, going close through Ferederic Nsabiyumva just one minute later, while at the opposite end of the pitch, City goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburgh produced a superb save to deny Chippa winger Ramasimong Maloisane what looked to be a certain goal.

That Leeuwenburgh save proved to be crucial as the Citizens went on to claim the lead in the 22nd minute, Mdantsane latching onto a pass from Craig Martin before slotting the ball into the bottom-left corner.

Chippa had a great chance to level matters just three minutes later but Ramasimong's effort lacked power and was easily snapped up by Leeuwenburgh.

They kept prodding and probing the City defence as the half wore on but failed to really test Leeuwenburgh until the first minute of injury time.

However, Leeuwenburgh was again alert to the danger, making a routine save to keep his side's slender lead intact heading into the break.

Chippa came out of their half-time team talk fired up after failing to make their chances count in the first half, and they quickly took control of proceedings.

It didn't take them long to fashion an equaliser as Nigerian forward Augustine Kwem sent a powerful shot into the top-right corner from close range.

And Chippa didn't take their foot off the gas as they continued to pile forward with urgency.

They created two excellent chances in the minutes that followed the equaliser, but Ramasimong fired just wide from a free-kick, before Ryan Rae sent a headed effort narrowly wide of the mark.

Chippa really should have claimed the lead in the 68th minute but City were let off the hook as Isaac Nhlapo's header from the centre of the box was denied by the crossbar.

The Citizens briefly threatened to snatch the lead against the run of play a few minutes later but Morris' header was saved by goalkeeper Veli Mothwa.

But with just under 20 minutes remaining in the clash, the goal scoring chances quickly dried up.

Both coaches opted to bring on fresh legs for the final push, but it had no impact on the final scoreline as the two sides were forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

- TEAMtalk media

Source: News24

More South Africa News

Access More

Sign up for Johannesburg News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!